Ganjang-gejang 간장게장




There are times I enjoy eating out, but it’s even more comforting to cook at home because it’s more relaxing when I’m in my pjs. Recently I’ve been seeing a lot of YouTuber eating this Korean dish called Ganjang-gejang 간장게장, it’s raw crabs 🦀 and it got me tempted to try this out. I’m not so sure where to get this dish in K-Town NYC, even so, if I find a place I’m positively sure it will overcharge me. So instead I got myself a half dozen blue carbs and simply follow the cooking instructions that maangchi provided.  I always think that making a crab dish was a very difficult process, however, cleaning processing was fairly simple and the sauce wasn’t a very long process to make. This dish is perfect during a hot summer day and it goes well with rice.  I’m so glad that I tried making this dish and what a great way to save money.  Have you tried this? If you haven't you should it taste very delicious and Happy eating!

Ganjang-gejang 

Ingredients

  • 2 pounds live blue crabs (6 or 7 crabs) (or live flower crabs)
  • 1 apple, sliced thinly
  • 1 medium onion, sliced
  • 6 garlic cloves
  • 1 tablespoon ginger, chopped
  • 2-3 green chili peppers, chopped
  • 3-4 small dried red chili peppers
  • 5 inch x 8 inch dried kelp
  • 2½ cups soy sauce
  • ¼ cup rice syrup
  • 6 cups water

Garnish


Serve with rice.

Directions

  1. Freeze crabs for 2 hours to put them to sleep.
  2. Create marinade by combining soy sauce, water, dried chili pepper, ginger, apple, dried kelp, onion, garlic, and rice syrup in a heavy pot. Cover and bring it to a boil over medium-high heat for 20 minutes, until boiling.
  3. Turn down the heat to low and keep boiling the marinade for another hour.
  4. Let the marinade cool down a little bit, strain it, and then let it cool down thoroughly. Set aside.
  5. Take the crabs out of the freezer. Grab one crab and put on the cutting board belly up. Remove the apron (the piece folded around under the body), by lifting it and twisting it off. Turn it over. Grab the shell with one hand and split it open with your other hand. Remove the gills with a knife or your fingers. Cut off any stringy stuff (eyes & antennae) from the edge of the shell with scissors. Clean all the crabs this way, and keep track of which shell goes with which body.
  6. Brush the crabs in cold running water to clean them thoroughly. But be sure not to wash away the tomalley (aka “mustard”). Drain and put each shell back on the body it belongs to so that it looks a whole crab.
  7. Put the crab into a wide mouth glass jar or container, belly up. Pour the marinade into the jar and press the crabs down with something heavy like a rock, so they remain submerged. Refrigerate for 24 hours.

Be sure to subscribe to my blog, and have a wonderful day!
QuickEdit
Cynthia
0 Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to ask any questions or make any requests. I will try to respond to any of your questions or comments in the same entry, so check back for a response. Thanks for stopping by!

[name=Peony in Love] [img=https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhmD4mmVAwN9sNmqW9cm_8SrLdR6GTIe85thxh47PcFPVbbATPRmPQEZ87xIyBOspYkl7cx2ST_mHASLkgnzp9X2zvnLL9jVRo5vqP87ab2FyeaWZ9dQpyIV7K5S1qXhhC3QSK1TfJ5qlc/s113/14225516_10154389970263449_7825587658037540456_n.jpg] [description=I'm a beauty blogger that enjoy shopping, running, fine dining ☕️ & traveling ✈️. I hope to share with you my daily expedition in the ❤️ of NYC.] (twitter=https://twitter.com/peonyinlove) (instagram=http://www.instagram.com/peonyinlove) (bloglovin=http://www.bloglovin.com/@peonyinlove)